Exodus Travels, the award-winning adventure tour operator, has announced an extension of its support for elephant conservation efforts. The company is collaborating with Patricia Sims, founder of World Elephant Day, to promote its ‘Free to Roam’ elephant conservation project, located in Tsavo National Park, Kenya, which is home to the country’s largest elephant population.
In partnership with on-the-ground conservation experts, Tsavo Trust and the Tofauti Foundation, the ‘Free to Roam‘ project aims to reduce human-wildlife conflicts and educate local communities about the importance of wildlife conservation. This is achieved through the implementation of the innovative ‘10% Fence Plan,’ designed to prevent crop raiding and livestock predation. By doing so, the project enhances food security for the local residents.
In the past year, the ‘Free to Roam’ project successfully introduced the plan in the Kamungi Conservancy within Tsavo West National Park, leading to its expansion. Thanks to the initial success, the Exodus Travels Foundation will support the construction of two additional fences in the nearby Shirango Conservancy within Tsavo East National Park.
The project’s overarching goal is to provide more space for elephants and other wildlife to thrive while empowering the local Tsavo communities to allocate 90% of their land to nature. Simultaneously, it offers permaculture training to those who own the remaining 10%, thus increasing food security and promoting a harmonious co-existence between local wildlife and communities.
The founder of World Elephant Day, Patricia Sims, highlighted the project’s success in achieving peaceful and sustainable co-existence between elephants, wildlife, and people.
Additionally, Exodus Travels announced an adventure trip to Kenya with Patricia Sims to coincide with World Elephant Day 2024, as part of its Royal Canadian Geographic Society (RCGS) Quests collection. Further details about this and other notable RCGS trips will be unveiled in the coming month.
In honor of World Elephant Day, Exodus Travels is offering expert-led, small-group tours that allow individuals to experience close encounters with these magnificent creatures in a safe and sustainable manner. Some of these tours include the Kenya and Tanzania Adventure, Namibia and Botswana: Dunes & Delta, Wildlife and Wilderness of Botswana, and Zambezi Canoe Safari.