Intrepid Travel, a global tour operator, introduced a premium product in 2020 that has led to increased sales and stronger relationships with travel advisors. The company’s changes and growth have been driven by the “conscious traveler” approach, focusing on travelers who are aware of the impact of their trips, culturally conscious, and climate-aware.
Here are some key points from the article:
- Intrepid Travel’s introduction of a premium product, known as Intrepid Premium, has been successful, with revenues 80% higher than in 2019.
- The company prides itself on being the largest adventure travel B Corporation, which focuses on ethical and sustainable business practices.
- Intrepid Travel’s marketing message revolves around the idea of “good” travel, emphasizing positive impacts on the environment and local communities.
- The premium tours offer higher-end accommodations, experienced local leaders, immersive experiences, private or first-class local transportation, and well-paced itineraries. The group size remains small, typically 8-10 travelers with a maximum of 12.
- Intrepid Travel is also expanding into lesser-known destinations and less crowded areas within popular destinations to spread out travel spending.
- The company offers women’s only and women-led expeditions in countries like Morocco, Pakistan, Iran, Nepal, Peru, and India, supporting women’s employment and businesses.
- The U.S. is the company’s fastest-growing market, as Americans seek more immersive and sustainable travel experiences.
- Intrepid Travel’s structure includes 27 offices around the world, operating over 1,000 itineraries in more than 120 countries.
- The company is responding to post-pandemic consumer trends by offering trips led by people of color and indigenous people.
- Intrepid Premium plans to expand into other trip styles, like walking and cycling, to cater to older, more active travelers.
- The success of Intrepid Premium has strengthened the company’s relationships with travel advisors and consortia, including Virtuoso, Ensemble, Travel Leaders Network, and AAA.
- The company offers a Specialist Program for advisors, with plans for a refresh
- and a new Intrepid Polar Specialist certification.
- The Advisor Resource Center will be updated with more relevant training and content in the coming months.
- Advisors can earn higher commissions with the premium product, and they are eligible for a 50% discount on any trip.
- Intrepid Travel is considering selling additional services like airport transfers and travel insurance on its website to enhance the user experience.
Travel advisors now see Intrepid Travel as a valuable product that competes with luxury brands but at a more affordable price point.
This information highlights how Intrepid Travel has adapted to meet the changing preferences of travelers and the growing demand for sustainable and immersive travel experiences.